Time for Strangers
Yesterday's mail brought an envelope for Max. He was thrilled to get mail and even more thrilled to get surprise mail from someone he has never met.
A few weeks ago Max began working on his first report. He chose FDR as the person to write about and I posted some stuff about it here on my blog. In my comments section, Christina asked if it would be ok to send him some things from The Little White House where FDR vacationed. I thought her generosity was wonderful and gave her our address.
Yesterday, Max opened an envelope with postcards and souvenir brochures all about FDR. He got them from a stranger. A stranger who was kind enough to say, I can do something kind for them and who did it. It made his day.
This got me to thinking about how often we go through our daily lives, hearing about situations that families or friends or strangers are dealing with, knowing that we could help... but not offering. Why is that? I know that it feels great to receive the kindness of a stranger, especially when it involves children, so why wouldn't I go out of my way to be the stranger and offer something when I can? I am not talking about helping the famiy whose house has burned down, we all do that. I am talking about going out of our way to make something a little nicer for someone. Like taking a trip into town to get some postcards for a little boy you don't even know. Things that are small, yet feel like a huge blessing to the recipient.
I am going to make a conscious effort to offer, even in small ways, to help when I hear of a need, be it for a family member or a stranger. The world needs more of that.
Thanks to Christina for reaching out and touching our family by doing a small kindness for Max.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment