Sunday, June 05, 2005

It's the little things.

It is 90 degrees outside my house. It is also 90 degrees INSIDE my house. My air conditioner chose today to quit working and so my family is spending the day SWELTERING in the house. This is usually able to be tempered by a quick visit to the neighborhood pool, but my sons did not want to turn in the registration card last week and we are not able to swim until it is received by the office of POOL PEOPLE.

I know air conditioning is a luxury. I know that somehow in our twisted, materialistic society we have managed to turn luxuries into necessities. I also know people have lived their entire lives without being fortunate enough to have air conditioning.

On a good day those are the things that get me through a hot day like today.

Today, I am just plain too hot to care that I am selfish and materialistic. I want my AC fixed and I want it now.

Life has other plans though. The AC will require a repair that will cost $$ that we won't have until next month. In addition, the boys just informed me of an even larger crisis ..... PLAYSTATION IS BROKEN.

According to them replacing playstation needs to be moved immediately to the top of the families financial priorities. Right below food, of course.

Guess I am going to spend the next month sweating instead of re-working the budget (for the AC, not the playstation). I think it is important for them to see the message that I got today...

It only takes one day of being truly uncomfortable to help me realize how fortunate we are to be blessed with all of the little things we take for granted everyday.

Enjoy the little things.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

My boys would feel the same way. They would suggest to fix the TV or video game and we could just hang out in the family room with the window unit.
Can you get an inexpensive window unit until you can get the big green machine replace?