Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Concerts and clothes and the carbon cycle

Tuesday was a pretty good day. We are doing the JASON PROJECT with two other families and today the activities were at my house. It is a good time for the kids and I think (hope, actually) that the kids are learning something. Today we discussed the carbon cycle and did some work learning how to determine the history of a rainforest through it's soil history. It's nice to do science in a group because it makes me accountable to someone else and I actually do it.

We spent the evening at my niece's middle school choir concert. It was fun. People watching at a middle school event is always a good time. There are those kids who are avoiding their parents at all costs, those who are still okay with their parents, and those who pretend to be too cool, but really want to be near their parents. The variety of sizes and shapes at a middle school event are always startling too. Josh would have gone to this middle school, had he stayed in school. I don't think he has any desire to go back after spending an hour at the school watching the show.

An interesting poster caught Andy and I off guard while we were there. I am sure it must have been in response to a study on racial prejudice, but it was still funny to us.
The poster read "We are all the same color when the lights go off"

Josh is growing again. I think at this point, he is always growing. He is just over 5'8", making him taller than I am. His most recently purchased jeans are bordering on too short, which means we really have to travel to the men's department to buy him clothes. In the fall, we managed to find one company that made jeans that he likes, in a boys size 20. That find prevented me from having to cross over to the men's department, but it looks like it was my last reprieve. I haven't had to buy a kid clothes every 4 months since Max was an infant. I hope this stage goes quickly!

No comments: