Geometry or Algebra II... that is the question
Josh is cruising along in his Algebra I text and is on target to complete it around October, if we don't school over the summer. We usually do school over the summer, which means he will be ready for a new math text by fall. My original intent was to go with Geometry. It normally follows Algebra I because you need knowledge in both to take the ACT and SAT tests. Most kids manage to finish both Algebra I and Geometry by the end of the 10th grade, preparing them for the college entrance tests. Now my predicament.....
Josh is finishing 7th grade. I can't decide if he is cognitively ready to move into a real Geometry course, proofs and all, or not. He is doing well in Algebra I. I could have him take Algebra II next and then add in Geometry later. I could have him do a Geometry course that has its focus on investigation rather than proofs, and then have him take Algebra II and just do the proofs part of Geometry later. I can only use a Geometry text that focus's on investigative matters and never come back to proofs.... the choices seem mind boggling and endless.
Plan A
7th - Algebra I
8th- Key to Geometry or Discovering Geometry (not proof based)
9th- Algebra II and trig
10th- Lial's Geometry for College bound students (proofs)
11th- pre calc at community college
Plan B
7th- Algebra I
8th- Algebra II and trig
9th- Geometry (will he be ready for proofs?)
10th- pre calc
11th- calc at community college
Plan C
7th- Algebra I
8th Algebra II
9th- Accounting and/or Statistics
10th- Geometry
11th- precalc (will he have forgotten his algebra?)
12th- calc at community college
Anyone with any experience want to share a thought with me here???? I am swimming in choices and not sure where to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment