Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Begin at the beginning.

After my little panic attack the other day, I sat down and decided to just begin at the beginning. I had to answer some questions and then do some thinking.
What kind of high school education do I want my children to have?
What can I provide?
What can I outsource?
What are my goals for them during these years? What are their goals?

I have come up with this
Hillside Academy purpose is to prepare young men for the challenges of a university education while instilling core values and work ethics that will last a lifetime.

It needs polishing, but it is a beginning and I think that is what I need most.

I have also decided these things:


Hillside Academy will require 24 credits for graduation as follows:

English 4 credits

Math 3 credits

Science 3 credits including 2 lab sciences

Social Sciences 3 credits

Computer Science 1 credit

Foreign Language 2 credits

Arts 1 credit

Health/PE 1 credit

Electives 6 credits

This should give me a basis to work from and now all I need to do is begin to plug in courses where they fall. It will allow Josh to choose plenty of classes that interest him, while giving us the ability to require courses that he could care less about but needs to be a successful college student.

It's a beginning, and that was what I needed...






1 comment:

Donna Boucher said...

Excellent Plan!
I like your 'mission statement'.

We think alike :o)