When did this happen and where was I???
I woke up this morning and realized that I have a son 6 months away from starting high school. This is a terrifying thought in itself when I realized that means he is 14, only 2 years from driving and a mere 4 years from being considered an adult. The fear that gripped me took on a whole new level when I realized that in addition to all of these milestones, I would be the one deciding what his high school academic life would look like. It will be me choosing courses and writing transcripts and portfolios and grades, and all the rest. ME. When did I get here?? Wasn't I just homeschooling a 5th grader, not thinking past "getting to Algebra"?? Why did it seem so much easier to plan and organize high school when it was so much farther away??
I used to be calm and relaxed and feel like I knew what I was going to do when I finally got to this stage. Now I am not sure any of it is the right thing to do, and am certain that I will be fully responsible for destroying his opportunities for a successful future.
I have 6 months to write out course descriptions and choose a scope and sequence, and texts, and a record keeping method (that I will be consistent about using). I feel overwhelmed.
I miss 5th grade.
Anyone who is riding along in the high school journey, just a little ahead of me, and finding it to be far less terrifying is free to comment so I have a role model and a mentor. If you are equally as terrified as I am, or just as disorganized and freaked out, you are also welcome to comment so I don't feel so alone.
Trying hard to enjoy the journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi!
I am homeschooling an 11th grader and next year I will add a 9th grader. For me, high school has been easier than the younger grades because my girls have done most of their lesson planning and studying themselves. Of course, I have been closely involved in picking out curiculum and making goals, but they do almost all of the rest. I struggle with guilt over this, but my husband reminds me that independent learning was our goal in the first place, right? I won't take up more space here except to say that high school has been the time when a lot ofthe "fruit" of the homeschool years has appeared. I only have 1 1/2 years left before my oldest is done with school-and I wouldn't trade a moment of this journey!
ENJOY
Post a Comment